SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2014

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2014 09:56:04 -0400
On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 7:23 AM, David Sommerseth
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [...]

Good luck with that! Apache httpd does not follow  as thorough of a
1.2.3 numbering schem that GNU tools use, where anythintg that changes
the first number is a major architecture change and is unlikely to
interoperate with other major version numbers, anything that changes
the second number will try to be compatible with *clients* of the with
other minor numbers but may have incompatible features either way, and
merely changing the third number means it can probably use the same
libraries and should be fully compatible. But like I said, Apache
isn't as thorough about that as some folks, so switching from 2.2.15
to 2.2.27 could seriously break other components. Do it cautiously.

Our favorite upstream number us unlikely to update so many core parts
of such a core library without a major OS release.  If they do, they'd
tend to publish a numbered, parallel package as they did for openssl.
(Take a look at those set of compatibility libraries for openssl!) If
you do need a significantly newer version, you'll need to hit the 3rd
party repositories. A quick look over at http://rpm.pbone.net
http://rpm.pbone.net/ shows that the only *obvious* repositories with
a much newer httpd are over at ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/repositories.
There's even an httpd-2.4.2 there, if you feel the need!

Those are mostly one-offs, suitable for grabbing the SRPM and
reviewing it and building from source if you like, but they lack the
thorough testing you'd get with our favorite upstream vendor or with
Scientific Linux. I do that sort of thing over at github, especially
for Subversion, so I understand the motivations. If Repoforge were
active, you might be able to submit and get httpd built reliably
there, but it's seemed to be *very* idle lately.