SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:16:00 -0500
Tanmoy Chatterjee wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 12:35 AM, Steven J. Yellin
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>    You may already understand what I'm about to write, but it's possible
>> that you're enough of a newbie that you've misunderstood the role of rpms,
>> so I'll explain anyway:
>>    Downloading a rpm, like rp-pppoe, is not a method of connection; it's
>> part of a proceedure for getting the rp-pppoe software into your computer if
>> it isn't already there.  If the command
>>
>> rpm -q rp-pppoe
>>
>> shows that the package is already there (compare with what you get for a
>> non-existent rpm as in 'rpm -q Tanmoy') then there's no point in again
>> putting it into your computer via a USB stick.  The rpm should be installed
>> once, and then never needs to be installed again.  In the case of a
>> distribution such as RHEL, standard practice is to have necessary rpms
>> installed initially as part of the original system.  It would be somewhat
>> surprising if that didn't happen with rp-pppoe.
>>
> I think I have failed to clearly point out my problem. I know how to
> set-up pppoe connection via "Roaring Penguin" software "rp-pppoe" as I
> have already done so with my Fedora 13 and Ubuntu partitions.
> As I am currently installing SL from Livecd which does not come with
> that rp-pppoe package. So that I have to download it somehow and then
> install it to set up a pppoe connection. That's why I am asking
> whether there are any other software/method to set up pppoe connection
> in SL?
> My confusion increases with googling and after going through RHEL
> documents - I have found some suggestions there as how to configure it
> with pppd. Just want to know how is it different than the software we
> are dicussing rp-pppoe and is there some easy steps to do so.
>
>> Steven Yellin
>>
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011, Tanmoy Chatterjee wrote:

>>> 3) I can do that. But after checking the RHEL Deployment guide - they
>>> have not mentioned this method for pppoe connection - as not being a
>>> computer student I want to know what the standard practice in this
>>> case for distribution such as RHEL.

I'm still not sure what you are trying to accomplish.  If you have other
linux distributions on other partitions, can't you simply wget the RPM
from there, reboot to SL, mount the other OS's partition and
copy/install it from there?

http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/i386/os/Packages/rp-pppoe-3.10-8.el6.i686.rpm
Change release/arch as needed...

Why go through all of the trouble of cobbling your connection via other
means?  Sounds like you are trying to make it harder than it actually is.

-Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Digital Systems Engineer