SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:41:08 -0600
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Eric Wu wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am trying to change the default panel on our SL install.
>> We are pushing out desktops and we would
>> like some customizations to show up for all users.
>> For example, I want to replace the Mozilla button
>> with a Firefox button and get rid of the printer manager button.
>>
>> Is the a file or group of files that controls this for
>> all users?  I looked through the gnome manual, but
>> I couldn't find it (I could've missed it too, not sure).
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eric
>

> Hi Eric,
> We do have an rpm called SL_desktop_tweeks.
> This tweeks the panel for both KDE and GNOME.
>
> **begin rant**
> Let me tell you, the GNOME panel is at lest 200% harder to tweek than
> the KDE one.  I sent mail to all the GNOME, fedora mailling lists.  I
> read through all the manuals.  I got in the GNOME peoples face asking
> them to 'throw me a bone ... point me at least to the right manual', and
> finally one sent me a link to a manual I'd already read 5 times, but had
> skipped over.  I finally found it.  But that was 8 months ago, and I
> don't remember all the details.
> **end rant**
>
> Until I can find the details that I sent to those mailling lists, a way
> to figure it out is to install SL_desktop_tweeks and look through what
> it does.
>
>   yum install SL_desktop_tweeks
>   rpm -ql --script --triggers SL_desktop_tweeks
>
> Troy

Found it ... somewhat.  Though this seems like such a short answer to
something that, as I look through my e-mails, took over a month of
intense searching.  (And I still don't know why the gnome guys just
didn't tell me.)

---------begin--------------

Hmm ... I thought I had posted the answer ... now I'll have to dig
through my rpm.
OK, I remember it now.  This was actually fairly painful (and you always
forget what is painful)

Just so you know, I have this in rpm form at

ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/302/i386/SL/RPMS/SL_desktop_tweeks-1.1-1.i386.rpm
ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/302/SRPMS/SL_desktop_tweeks-1.1-1.src.rpm

so far, all the desktop tweeks there are is adding the terminal icon on
the panel, and removing one or two of the office buttons.

But in short, you create and/or edit a general.gconf.xml file, and a
terminal.gconf.xml file.  You then copy them to
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/panel/default_profiles/medium/general/%gconf.xml
and
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/panel/default_profiles/medium/objects/terminal_launcher/%gconf.xml

I am going to attach the files, so you know what I did to edit them.

It has gotten better in newer versions of gnome, but I haven't looked at
2.6 yet.
Hope this helps.
Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468