SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:24:35 +0200
On 12/06/07 22:44, Michael Hannon wrote:
> Subtitle: does Fedora actually suck?
>
> Hi folks.  This isn't a troll.  We run SL on all of our server systems
> and most of our client systems around here, and I'm pretty happy with
> the situation, except for one thing: we get requests fairly frequently
> for software that our user community genuinely must have, but that is
> not in the current version of SL.  (Examples include Python 2.4, PHP
> 5.x, MySQL 5.x, etc.)
[..]

One point you might to want consider is developers building up
dependencies against "too new" packages on their desktop (with respect
to the production systems where their code is supposed to run later).
Your software  management has to have explicit checks for this
(pre-production/testbed with well-defined environment), but even so
there may be significant pressure to get updates on the production
system (with all the drawbacks, i.e. segfaults due to mix&match
libraries, no "free" security updates etc).

Having the developer desktop == production environment leads to more
conservative programming in my experience.

just my 0.02CHF
Jan