SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Aug 2011 15:43:34 -0700
On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:08 AM, Predrag Punosevac <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I am also a bit
>> concern about other applications and their availability for SL 6.1. This
>> thing must run MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, SciPy, Numpy and be
>> accessible not only via ssh but also via NoMachine NX. In particular NX
>> is closed source for version 4.0 and above so I am not sure if the free
>> version of server will even install let alone run on SL 6.1.
>
> Wow, you do have a suite of tools that might add up to some support
> issues. Since our favorite upstream vendor's version 6 has been out
> since October of 2010, I suspect that all of those packages are now
> compatible with SL 6.0 or SL 6.1

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the applications mentioned are not
compatible with EL 6.  I have an EL-5 box running VMWare Workstation 7
but cannot upgrade it to EL 6 because this VMWare product does not
support RHEL-6.0 as host, does not support RHEL 6.1 as host/guest.
This is rather surprising; nine months after the release of RHEL 6.0,
it is still not supported. VMware WS is not free, and one would think
a company like VMware should do a better job for paying customers.

> I wouldn't sweat the binary NoMachine implementation. While I dislike
> intensely closed source code, the freeware rebuilds of NX based tools,
> such as neatx and freenx, are all abandonware, and NoMachine's
> implementation is noticeably superios, especially for the Windows
> clients. And hey, with Putty 0.61 out and supporting genuine GSSAPI,
> I'm hoping that it can support genuine single-sign-on..

nx/freenx is indeed nice. Unfortunately, the version for EL6 is still
under testing. I have been running it just fine on EL6.0 as well as on
6.1. It just has to be finalized and published (from the CentOS extras
repository). Anyone wishing to give it a try can download the testing
version from:

http://centos.toracat.org/misc/nx-freenx/6/

The current version is:

freenx-0.7.3-7.el6.ay