SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:37:44 +0400
Hi Jeremy Wellner!

 On 2011.10.11 at 11:14:30 -0700, Jeremy Wellner wrote next:

> Still very linux green but sopping up info quick.  I have a SL 6.1 install updated to current that I am trying to build/install a driver for a RocketRaid 644 eSATA card to run an enclosure off my tower. - http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/page/rr644_U.htm
>
> It looks like they only have drivers for RHEL5.5, but they do have the source that I'm getting a error finding a .him_magni.o file during make.
>
> Any ideas??  I could use the help! :)

I'm afraid it's not possible to easy make it work under linux. They
provide only binary drivers for old distributions; this so-called
"source code" is merely a simple wrapper around pre-compiled binary blob
which isn't compatible with newer kernels. You probably should find a
way to return this card and replace it with something else..

It's good idea to stand away from highpoint cards - most of them are
simply overpriced HBAs with software raid layer implemented in
proprietary driver. This card's hardware is worth about $30 - that's
what SATA chip on it costs - and rest of money went into old proprietary
driver which implements "RAID" functionality using your own CPU and has
pretty bad performance and compatibility problems..

HighPoint never supports modern linux systems because they will *only*
provide closed-source drivers compiled for older systems - they don't
want to open their RAID driver code which they value so much to sell for
big money :) This design - most money goes for the driver code - simply
doesn't play well with linux kernel design..

For your need, you probably should some very simple 4-port eSATA HBA, or
2x 2-port cards, if possible (it's cheaper).

--

Vladimir