SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Jeff Gregor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Gregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2012 14:21:20 -0400
On 8/6/2012 2:04 PM, zxq9 wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 11:14 PM, Mark Stodola wrote:
>> On 08/06/2012 09:00 AM, Jeff Gregor wrote:
>>> I'm setting up a couple of old machines as sort of web/email kiosks for
>>> internal users. I'd like to be able to change the SL logo on the login
>>> screen to use my organization's logo. I've figured out how to change
>>> the
>>> background image on the login screen, but can't seem to figure out
>>> where
>>> the login panel (gdm-simple-greeter?) is configured. Any help would be
>>> appreciated! Thanks...
>>
>> I haven't tried in SL6 yet, but in SL5, I place my theme directory in
>> /usr/share/gdm/themes/<theme_name>/
>>
>> In there, I have a GdmGreeterTheme.desktop that defines the name,
>> description, author, and greeter filename.
>> Then, there is a file matching the greeter filename above (usually
>> something like theme_name.xml) that contains all the goodies you are
>> looking for.
>>
>> It is probably quickest to just clone an existing theme and tweak your
>> colors/text accordingly.
>
> Look for system-logo-icon.{png,svg} in /usr/share/icons/hicolor or
> somewhere similar. I don't remember the details. xfce4 has its own
> name, and I think KDE has its own name also. Either that or
> computer.png. I don't remember precisely.
>
> Anyway, if you're doing a kiosk by far the easiest way to get what you
> want would be to make your own redhat-logos package (and whatever
> other theming packages there are) from the original SRPM and either
> include an obsoletes line or increase it by a version number you're
> sure SL won't overwrite when, say, 6.3 or 6.4 are released.
>
> Also, gnome has a series of icon caches that can trip you up. You can
> replace the icons and still see the old ones in central places for
> quite some time (and this survives restarting X). To fix this you'll
> need to delete the icon-theme.cache files at the base of whatever
> system icon theme directory you're replacing icons in (like
> /usr/share/icons/gnome/icon-theme.cache) or your changes will appear
> to have no effect.
>
> Good luck.
Aha, that was the last piece of the puzzle I needed!

I figured out that the icon being used by running: sudo -u gdm
gconftool-2 --recursive-list /apps/gdm/simple-greeter:
     /apps/gdm/simple-greeter:
       logo_icon_name = start-here

Using the existing (default) System theme, I found the icons in
/usr/share/icons/System/(various sizes)/places as "start-here.png".

I replaced all of the variously sized icons with my own (keeping the
same name) but nothing changed, even after rebooting. I then deleted the
icon-theme.cache in /usr/share/icons/System, rebooted, and voila!

I'm intrigued by the idea of tweaking the redhat-logos package, as this
will be something that I'll have to do again in the future. I guess I'll
have to do some more reading....

Thanks for the help!