SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 03:20:21 +0400
Hi Jeremy Wellner!

 On 2011.10.11 at 13:58:30 -0700, Jeremy Wellner wrote next:

> Do you have any suggestions on a good card to run a port multiplier SATA enclosure?  I'll have to see about getting these returned :)

For list of good cards with some descriptions, check out this page: http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=10
Or, rather, chips which card should be based on; for many of these chips
there are lots of cards from various manufacturers, which work more or
less the same and differ on port layout (internal/internal+external/external)

As for supporting port multiplier, unfortunately I never tried it with
sata solutions so can't give any advice or tell if it's even supported
well in linux.. SAS solutions work with multipliers, but if I understand
correctly it's quite different technology. But if they work, for
example, with ahci driver, than they generally should work with any
ahci-supported controller.

Note that this list includes highpoint adapter, Rocket 620 series. This
adapter is cheap and plain HBA without any highpoint driver tricks that
I mentioned in previous mail, as this blog page lists, it works with
standard driver - not saying you should be getting it, just making it
clear so you won't get wrong assumptions :)

Anyhow that page is good enough and provides lots of details about
controllers.

--

Vladimir