SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2013

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2013 06:52:56 -0700
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 2:33 AM, D Laff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> First post, and very much in need of help having been working away on this
> problem for 4 days! :(
>
> On the desktop PC in question, I was running SL 6.2 (2.6.32-279 x64). I
> believe that an automatic update (thought to have been disabled) took Xorg
> to v13.1.
>
> At this point, the proprietary graphics driver conflicted with Xorg
> (undefined symbol - noXFree86DRIExtension) and the system would only boot
> through a text splash screen before hanging at this primary console.
> However, system was available for remote access, or via the virtual
> consoles.
>
> The graphics adapter in question is an ATI Firepro 2270.

As you figured, your ATI card is not compatible with the current
version of Xorg. You need to _downgrade_ it. You can find detailed
info about the ATI driver on this ELRepo bug report:

http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=355

Jump to note 2964 if you don't have enough time to read through.
Assuming yours is one of the 2000, 3000 and 4000 series cards, I'd
guess you need the 'legacy' version.

Akemi