SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Richard Weed <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Weed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:34:12 -0500
Hi,

 I installed SL 5.0 X86_64 on my Sun Ultra 20 M2 Opteron system from CD's
and am encountering strange behaviour with removable media (USB sticks and
CD) under gnome when I log in as root. For some reason gnome does not put an
icon on the desktop for the removable drive/CD and open the file manager.
The drives appear in the Computer desktop folder though so they are being
recognized. I can click on the appropriate icon under Computer and get the
system to mount the drive. Just no icon on the desktop. Also, when I try to
eject/unmount a CD/DVD I get an error message saying it can't unmount the
file but goes ahead and ejects the media. Things appear to work O.K. when I
log in as a regular user (not root) under gnome except that I still get the
same mount error message when I try to unmount/eject a CD. Also, things
appear to work O.K. in KDE except for the CD mount error message.

I'm thinking this may be related to some subtle Selinux policy issue. I
turned off Selinux when I installed plus the two services that were still
running after install that related to Selinux (can't remember what they
were). I remember an older RHEL distribution had problems like this that I
think was related to Selinux.

Anyone else reported this behaviour. If so is there a fix. This isn't a
major issue. Its just annoying.

Also, why was the X11 xcalc util left out of the X11 apps/util rpm. At least
I can't find it anywhere in the distribution.

Thanks

RW