SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
John Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Franks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:39:26 -0500
On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 10:49 +0100, Robert Haines wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> >> Thanks for the info, but why a 'yum upgrade' and not a 'yum update'?
> >
> > As I had mentioned in an email of mine few days ago, when I made a fresh
> > installation of SL in my PC, I performed a "yum update" and was
> > performing abnormal termination during the update process. Then I tried
> > "yum upgrade", and it worked.
>
> But I'm not seeing (and have never seen) abnormal termination in yum.
> It's just that 'yum update' doesn't seem to be doing what it should -
> update *all* packages to the latest version!
>
> Rob

The problem you had before with certain packages not being updated was
due to a configuration glitch on the server (the repodata was not
refresshed).  When this was fixed things worked.  It had nothing to do
with "yum clean" or update vs. upgrade.  The difference between upgrade
and update has been explained several times on this list -- check the
archives.  The short answer though is both will install new versions of
packages you have installed -- upgrade may in addition *remove* some
obsolete packages.  Use "upgrade" when you are upgrading releases, i.e.
moving from 4.0 to 4.1.  You should probably use "update" once a day in
a cron job to install security patches.

I am fairly confident that yum is not broken and works as it should with
both update and upgrade.

John