SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:11:42 -0500
Francois Colonna wrote:
> Miles O'Neal wrote:
>> Francois Colonna said...
>>
>> |It will be nice to store this information on the Wiki, to allow peopl=
>> |e=20
>> |to find it easily
>> |Here it is lost.
>>
>> There are searchable archives, IIRC.
>>

> It is very different.
> An archive is difficult to search, is messy and is not uptodate.
> A wiki page is improving along  the time. it is uptodate and stays in
> place.
>
> I do not understand why it is not used for all these installation problems.
>
> François Colonna

A very good question that comes up every six months or so.
Here's the explanation.

Why no wiki's?

First Problem: Nobody has volunteered to create and maintain one.
Please note the word "maintain".  Anybody can put up a wiki.  You see
them all the time and they fall into four catagories.  A) Hacked, B)
not-maintained, C) So open that they are are useless, D) well maintained
and useful.

Second Problem: I don't like wiki's.  I know html, it is a standard.
Everytime I look at a wiki it just feels like someone just has some type
of shorthand, and then behind the scenes it's converted to html.  So why
not just write it in html in the first place.
This is a person preference.  But because of this preference, I am not
volunteering to do a wiki.
The other main developers have not volunteered either, and quite
frankly, I don't think it should be them volunteering to do it.

Third Problem:  The site www.scientificlinux.org is maintained by
Fermilab.  It is using it's resources, it's network bandwidth, it's
everything.  Fermilab does not like things being put on it's websites
that might embarrass the lab.  Of the past several times where a web
site has embarrassed the lab, it has been wiki's.  Someone left some
part of it open, so that people could easily write to it.  Usually it
has been very subtle, just a link to a pornographic site, or some very
racist remark, or both.
So the wiki HAS to be moderated and maintained.

So you see, all three reason's we don't have a wiki, and we don't have a
good 'hardware problems' area, all really stem from that very first
problem.  Nobody has volunteered.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468