SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
"Robert E. Blair" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E. Blair
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:44:37 -0600
You might suggest to them that if "branding" is their sole criterion for
security they might want to do a little reading on the latest SONY
fiasco.  Explain to them:

   1. SL is built from exactly the same sources as RHEL
         1. the only exceptions being where trademarks or other legal
            restrictions make this impossible
         2. the installation procedure differs mainly due to the above
   2. you should explain that CERN, Fermilab, Argonne, Brookhaven ...
      large national labs use this OS and they really do care about
      security. Hell, they not only use it they distribute it!
   3. Finally if you can't convince them don't reinstall just review the
      tiny number of rpm's identified with "SL" in the name and replace
      them with their "EL" version and change to using  the up2date
      mechanism from yum for keeping things current.
         1. the beauty of common source roots is that almost nothing
            changes from one distribution  to another - this has worked
            fine for me in migrating from WhiteBox to SL and is all of a
            5 minute process (the only potential gotcha here is how to
            initialize up2date since this is an area where primitive DRM
            comes into play and makes life potentially difficult)