SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2015 13:16:02 -0500
On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 2:06 AM, Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> That'll be fun to debug later ;)
>
> I think from memory the problem with EL5 was that you had to run the
> kernel-xen package - as it wasn't included in the stock kernel. It'd
> also be easier to do a netinstall vs a CD install and supply it the
> vmlinuz / initrd of the xen installer.

On the guest operating systems, apparently so for RHEL 5 and its
rebuilds. What's making me extra sad is that I *remember* that fun and
games when I worked for the BBC years ago. I any new setup, I'd say
"use SL 7 for the server and bring the disk images over, and ideally
put those images under VirtualBox for a much, much, much better
management interface than libvirt".

> Either way, Xen 3 has been end of life for many years now - so as far as
> security go, I wouldn't be putting them anywhere that could be abused.

One step at a time!  From other virtualization experience, it's often
more time critical to set up one virtual iinstance, *correctly*, in
the old setup, to demonstrate mastery of the technology. In this case,
simply using "virt-install" and starting with new OS images in full
virtualization has given me a working setup.