SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2014

From:
Karel Lang AFD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karel Lang AFD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:16:19 +0100
Hi,
i'm not much afraid of this. I run all servers i take care of with tight
SELinux policies.
I dont think this poses a threat to a secured server.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying i'm a 'master knowing all, afraid of
nothing' :] I know, i'm not, that's why i've got everything backed up
and barebone reinstall procedure in place - in case, disaster happens
(box is hacked, burnt, stolen, 3rd WW started - in this case i also have
a bottle of whiskey in my stash :D)

And if all this is in vain, then you should at least have a good
insurance, if your business is really critical.

Biggest threat to any Linux box server (IMHO) is still at the social
(engineering) level, like exceptions with weak passwords for some
'special' users, stolen laptops, secretary giving away her pw to any guy
who says he needs it because he's from IT department .. etc etc :]

--
*Karel Lang*
*Unix/Linux Administration*