SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2013 21:52:52 +0900
On Sunday 01 December 2013 09:41:42 Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 3:31 AM, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> >   Loved the article.  I understood all about the cartoons and
> >
> > the dogs and cats.  Perfectly done.  Unfortunately, when the
> > real world kicked in: zoom, right over my head.
> >
> >   Who sets up these labels and how is that done?  Some GUI
> >
> > for this?
>
> In theory, people like David, when creating RPM packages, incorporate
> some guidelines. And in testing, one can set SELINUX to "permissive",
> and record what violations are being reported. With that in hand, and
> some system knowledge, you can tune the SELinux settings, update the
> package installers, and go another round.
>
> In practice? Few developers are willing to help write good packages,
> and many completely ignore the File System Hierarchy, so they wind up
> putting stuff in all *sorts* of places. And it winds up the RPM
> authors'  problem to straighten out any SELinux conflicts. Our friends
> upstream at Fedora and Red Hat are pretty good about it. But when
> developing home or buisiness layouts with personnel who've not dealt
> with it, it's usually easier to just turn SELinux off or set
> permissive, and try to clean up if and when you have cycles.

Authors with good ideas and no understanding of the system they are writing
for are the bane of Fedora packagers. (In Fedora there are all these rules and
things...) That said, audit2allow goes a long way to letting a user painlessly
generate a custom policy from the audit logs generated in permissive mode.
Understanding how to do this requires a bit of reading, though -- I'm not sure
if that functionality has all made it to the GUI. Speaking of which, I'm not
sure that the GUI bits are in SL, but I know they are in Fedora (and probably
EPEL?).

On really huge software systems audit2allow is insufficient and a unique
domain/policy needs to be deliberately created. In large systems the
occurrence of critical activities might be so rare (once a month or perhaps
just randomly based on an event/condition) that not everything that needs to
be allowed can be captured in the audit logs in a reasonable amount of time.
Complex, long-running server-side stuff like Apache (or even desktop packages
like certain browsers that think they are window managers themselves) can fall
into this category, and in those cases its a big deal to have packagers and
developers talking. In most cases, though, audit2allow is entierly sufficient
and easy to use once you understand it.

That is assuming, of course, that you care about locking things down on your
system -- there is strong historical evidence to support the view that most
consumers couldn't care less about security, privacy or their own property
rights so long as the digital haze they experience is sufficiently
distracting. Hence the developers' conundrum: users prefer insecure systems
with lock icons on everything to systems that are even partially secure.