SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2010

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:50:35 -0600
suvayu ali wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I see that rolling SL6 alpha releases are already available. Is there
> a time line on when stable or even beta releases for SL6 will be
> available?
>
> Thank you.

Hi,
We almost have the alpha out, expect it later today.  We're doing a few
more tweeks to the image build scripts.
At that point, it all depends on what you mean by stable.
***skip to bottom for short answer***

We expect that *most* of the packages in os/Packages to remain the same.
  If there are packages that just didn't build correct, they will be
replaced.

With SL6, we are trying one thing a little different.  In the past, we
always put in the latest security and bugfix errata into the main
package area (i386/SL or i386/SL/RPMS).  With SL6, we are trying to keep
that area (os/Packages) stable, and just have the packages that can with
RHEL6 in there.  There are some exceptions of course, for those packages
  that we change.  But for the most part, that area should be stable.
We are then putting all the security and bugfix updates into the updates
area.
We are able to do this, because we have changed the way we are building
the installer.  It is much more flexible, and is able to combine the two
area's easily.
And if it doesn't work out, we can always go back to the way we did it
before.

Hmmm ... this is probably too much information, how about I answer your
question with a short reply.

***short answer***
Currently, we don't have an estimate when we will be in a more stable
beta phase.  but the rolling area should be more stable than in past
releases.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group