SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2011 16:57:10 +0900
On 12/27/2011 04:12 PM, MT Julianto wrote:
> The machine looks (sometimes) sleep, although it is always on, idle, no
> screensavers is running, and no network changes surroundings.  That's
> never happened before migrated, and never happened when connecting or
> neighbor machines in the office.
>
> Do you have any suggestions to get rid of it?  It is a bit annoying,
> although I always able to ssh into the machine on the second try.
> Thanks.

That sounds pretty annoying. Is the machine a laptop? It is possible a
power-saver type mode is making it sleep until it gets the request.

I haven't had this issue myself at all, but power settings is the first
place I would start looking. Another place to check might be the sshd
settings (but again, this would be strange since others haven't reported
the same issue).

It could also be routing in the office. But I'd check the above two
things before I start wondering if routers don't like to remember my
system's MAC or DHCP address or something (though its possible if your
office needs some setting for DHCP leases to last the right amount of
time or whatever).