SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2013 13:24:01 -0700
A query:

 > it's my understanding that you ought to be careful about
 > mixing packages from ATrpms and rpmfusion.  They tend to cover similar
 > areas of application. and individually do it well, but mixing does cause
 > problems.

I agree with this, and, as rpmfusion seems to be working hard to be
compatible with "stock" EL, I shall discontinue use of ATrpms in so far
as possible.  Hence:

Is there a mechanism to

(1) identify ATrpm rpms that are present on a system

(2) find if the same functionalities exist within rpmfusion

and thus, using (if possible) the Add/Remove Software GUI, disable
ATrpms as a source, delete all of the ATrpms rpms that meet (2) and
replace these with those from rpmfusion?

Such steps would help to address the point raised.

Likewise, I again ask:

Technical question:  for a .so file or an executable, ldd will inform as
to the required dependencies.  What is the functional equivalent for a
rpm file to ldd, preferably an equivalent that will list both the
dependencies in terms of actual files (e.g., foobar.so.3.7.19-mnj) and
(hopefully) the RPMs from a particular repository (e.g., SL, rpmfusion,
etc., depending upon the distribution that supplied the RPM) that supply
such files?

Yasha Karant