SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2013 21:02:06 -0400
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM, Jeffrey Anderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> the problem here is the switch from one OS, a CERN release, to an
>> actual Scientific Linux release. That..... can be an adventure. I've
>> done it for CentOS=>Scientific Linux, and for RHEL=>CentOS and
>> CentOS=>RHEL. It's nasty, and I don't recommend it unless you're
>> getting paid hourly.
>

> Actually that is not quite the problem  I was trying to upgrade from the
> CERN SL5 to the CERN SL6, and that apparently is not supported.  But neither
> is a vanilla SL5 to vanilla SL6.
>
> The message I get from the official voices in this thread is that there is
> no supported method of upgrading major versions, only minor point versions.
> It's no big deal.  I just did a fresh install, then some cfengine magic and
> am back up and running in a couple hours.  I was just surprised because
> major version upgrades have been available for every version of SL and TUV
> for the past 15+ years, and when the install media did not give me that
> option here I wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.
>
> Jeff

I'm glad for you, and startled myself. Our favorite upstream vendor
certainly supported doing updates from major OS versions to major OS
versoins: you just couldn''t gracefully do it *live", because changing
things like major versions of glibc and rpm while you're in the midst
of using them to do the update is...... intriguingly problematic.
(Tried it once: don't recommend it!)