SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2007

From:
Mark Hlawatschek <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Hlawatschek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:32:24 +0100
On Wednesday 12 December 2007 09:06:18 you wrote:

> > It's a basic cluster, 12 computers (i386), and the purpose is learn
> > about instalation and some of administration. I have experience with
> > Debian, but I don't know if I need special learning about SL or if only
> > with manuals about RedHat.
>
> Red Hat manuals should be fine for SL or CentOS. Debian keeps some
> config/system files in different places, and has a different installer.
>
>  > The goal is run scientific applications, and
> >
> > integrate with the Grid team in the University, so, I think that I need
> > high processing clusters knowledge too.
>
> In which case you probably should read up on
>
> 1. Kickstart installations (Google, T.U.V has
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/
>ch-kickstart2.html )
>
> 2. batch system (ask you Grid guys for their preferred system -
>    PBS/Torque/CONDOR/...) - so you actually can "integrate".
>
> 3. a way to maintain the machines. "SSH" may do for the beginning, but
> to ensure long-term consistency you may want to have a look at automated
> configuration management (cfengine/puppet/quattor/..).
>
> An alternative that combines 1. and 3. is NCAPI "ROCKS",
> http://www.rocksclusters.org

You may also want to think about building up a sharedroot cluster. In this
case you'd be able to manage the whole cluster almost like a single server.
Have a look at http://open-sharedroot.org/
There are several HowTos availabe e.g. for SL5 you should use:
http://open-sharedroot.org/documentation/rhel5-gfs-shared-root-mini-howto

Mark

--
Gruss / Regards,

Dipl.-Ing. Mark Hlawatschek
http://www.atix.de/
http://www.open-sharedroot.org/

**
ATIX Informationstechnologie und Consulting AG
Einsteinstr. 10
85716 Unterschleissheim
Deutschland/Germany