SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 03:48:00 -0500
Pann McCuaig wrote:
> idled seems not to be available nor much maintained these days.
>
> What are folks using to log out users who walk away from their desks
> (for way too long)?
>
> Cheers,
>  Pann

RedHat KB: Article ID: 5762
Last update: 06-15-05
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_43_5762.shtm

Issue: How do I configure my system to automatically logout a user after
a certain amount of inactivity?
Resolution:

The system variable TMOUT can be set to specify the amount of time the
user is inactive before the user is automatically logged out. Set the
following listed below in the /root/.bashrc file:

TMOUT=3600

The system will logout the root account after one hour of inactivity.
The value entered for the TMOUT= variable is in seconds. To represent 1
hour, we have to multiply as follows: 1 hour is 60 minutes. 60 minutes *
60 seconds = 3600 seconds.

After setting the parameter, the intended user will need to log out and
then log in for the changes to take effect. To make modifications apply
to all users on the system, specify the TMOUT variable in /etc/profile.

-HTH Art@JAX