SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2013

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2013 19:13:02 +0100
Hi Bill,

On Oct 30, 2013, at 17:45 , Bill Askew wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I am running SL6.2 64bit on a Lenovo T61p.  We don't always set the date
> to the current date and sometimes the date is in the past.  If the year is
> 2010 - 2012 I get the following message at boot up.
>
> Checking filesystem
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root: Superblock last mount time (Wed Oct 30
> 12:11:30 2013,
>                  now = Sat Oct 30 06:27:50 2010) is in the future.
>
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>
>                                             [FAILED]
> *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to shell; the system will reboot
> *** when you leave the shell.
> Give root password for maintenance
> (or type Control-D to continue):
>
> This looks to me like a bug in fsck.  I can work around the boot up
> failure by modifying rc.sysinit to run fsck with the –y option.
> Alternatively I have created /fsckoptions with –y (this gets removed by
> rc.sysinit after boot up).

I think it's supposed to be a feature. I vaguely remember some BZs about this happening during the first boot after installation in the early EL6 days (maybe even during beta), but not what they did to remedy the problem.

> I would appreciate any other suggestions on how to work around this
> problem.

I'm not sure at all that it helps, nor that it won't have any negative effects, but I'm wondering whether setting the mount count to 0 using tune2fs would prevent this check from happening. And it should be possible to set the last mount time with debugfs. I've never tried doing any of this though. It's just how I would try to tackle this problem if I had to.

Regards,
	Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand