SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2008 09:03:12 -0700
<snip>

> Internet
> network.
> > > nothing
> > (ftp,
> > >
> > > If you are connected with a crossover-cable (or have a
> > network
> > > card that
> > > support crossover simulation), you have to only setup IP
> > > addresses of
> > > the same local vlan. For example 192.168.0.1 for your
> > desktop
> > > interface
> > > and 192.168.0.2 for your laptop. You should be able to
> ping
> > > each other
> > > without having a route.
> >
> > Yes, this is what I think I did. Later, I will verify the
> > connection.
>
> I have now got the details of:
> 	route -v
> and:
> 	/sbin/ifconfig -a
>
> on both machines. I notice there is a destination,
> 169.254.0.0,
> (under route -v) that I do not remember ever using!

Dear all,

I finally got the connection over the crossover cable! For
reasons that are beyond me, one of the two network cards (on the
desktop machine) becomes "inactive" shortly after activation
under system-network-config. After permuting IP addresses and
network cards, I finally got it working!

I am not sure if I had a configuration problem on the cards or
one of them is bad/unstable. However, since I also have Redhat
9.0 on the machine, I am yet to secure an old card (that is
known to work under RH9) in order to find out.

Nonetheless, I would appreciate if anyone could let me know if
the above solution/problem could have been detected by
interpreting the /sbin/ifconfig -a and /sbin/route -v outputs.

For the router question, I will give feedback once I turn my
attention to it.

Many thanks to all for the assistance.

William.

<snip>