SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:17:06 -0500
Eva Myers wrote:
> Hello,
> I have recently set up an SL5 machine, and it is basically working
> fine except that I was not able to install Mathematica from a CD.  The
> error message I got when attempting to run the installer was:
>
> -bash: ./MathInstaller: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
>
> I believe that this is because the CD was automounted with the noexec
> option, but I do not know how to fix this.  On Debian and SL305, it
> was a case of modifying /etc/fstab, and on SL44 software would install
> from CD right out of the box, but on SL5 there is no relevant line in
> /etc/fstab so presumably some other file needs tweaking.
>
> Now a few more minor issues and questions:
>
> SL5 does not include the latest version of R.  Which of the R rpms at
> http://www.stats.bris.ac.uk/R/ would be appropriate?  There is no
> RHEL5 repository there at the moment.  Would any of the fedora
> repositories do?

That is on my list of things to do.  I messed up on the rpm spec file for the R
that is in SL5, so I might as well just go to the new one, before everyone
get's entrenched with the older one I have in there.

Anyway, it's on my whiteboard of things to do ... but at the moment, the
whiteboard is extremely full.

> The default Gnome background with the picture of the atom seems to
> have disappeared, which was a bit surprising when I first tried out
> the SL5 machine.  Also, the Inbox Monitor applet has vanished and
> presumably been replaced by xbiff, so I'll need to work out how xbiff
> can be made to run for all users when they log in.

What do you mean that the default background "disappeared"?  On a SL5 machine,
you should have what I call a "grey swirl atom".  That dissapeared?

> acroread defaults to letter paper for all printers.  I have this
> problem with SL44 too, and I suppose it's a bug in acroread, but is
> there a way to avoid having to change the paper size every time?
> Eva.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group