SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
Randy Merritt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Merritt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:15:49 -0700
Has anyone used /usr/bin/sendmail to send an email
over the Internet using a shell window and a simple
mail message?  [this started with attempting to use
PHP's mail function]  Using sendmail with only -t and
entering a simple email msg in a shell window fails
with a Connection timeout message in /var/log/maillog.

The MTA listed in maillog is pingable and names a
Yahoo address.  My From: address is my (SL) login and
my To: address is my (valid) Yahoo email address;
'Subject: foo' and body a few 'x's.

The SMTP relay is my ISP's well-known SMTP MTA
address.  I've added an 'auth' FEATURE for this MTA in
sendmail.cf to no avail.

What seems odd is that this same simple email msg sent
to my Yahoo address with Thunderbird goes out just
fine.  But the same send attempt with sendmail fails.
In a Thunderbird test the sendmail daemon was even
shutdown.

I've tried some variations from documentation at
www.sendmail.org but so far no luck.  In the interest
in saving some time if anyone has already solved this
I'd appreciate some insight.

TIA,
Randy Merritt

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs