SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2014

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2014 09:20:33 -0800
On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Stephan Wiesand
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2014, at 16:35 , Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:

> If the NIC isn't supported, you'll have to provide a driver with every kernel update. ELrepo may help with this (after successful installation), but you'll have to check.

Yes, kmod-forcedeth for EL7 is available from ELRepo. I would even
note that there was a "high" demand for this driver.

> To get kickstart installs over the network going, the keyword is "driverdisk". Alas, the last time I had to resort to this was more than a decade ago, thus everything I know about it is outdated. The kickstart option seems still to be there, but I couldn't find any recent instructions how to create one. And then you'll have to make it available to the installer on a local device, since it's a network driver you need. I think back then I was using a floppy. Good grief...

You might want to try filing a request for a driver disk at
http://elrepo.org/bugs . With some luck, it may be provided.

> NB It's not unlikely that more components on those systems are no longer supported. Maybe you should just take it as a strong hint to replace the systems before the EL6 EOL?

Here you can find a list of drivers removed from RHEL 7 (SL 7):

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Migration_Planning_Guide/sect-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migration_Planning_Guide-Removed_Packages.html#sect-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Migration_Planning_Guide-Removed_Packages-Removed_Drivers

Akemi