SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Adam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2011 10:22:33 +0000
Good Morning,

On 9 Oct 2011, at 06:19, Yasha Karant wrote:
> I do not know what service the journal hosting university technical person installed -- other than being told "LogMeIn".  It is the free of fee service.

If you get in contact with them they should be able to tell you which, but there will be no harm caused by a bit of trial and error to see which they have set up.

> In the first case, "plain old" LogMeIn, with a JVM under Firefox current under EL, will the end-user see the remote (MacOS X) desktop and applications thereunder within the frame of the browser?

This is correct, and this is what I would check first as I think it is most likely..

> In the second case, "Hamachi" that only supports a plain shell interface under Linux (no GUI), does one run a VNC server on the remote MacOS X machine and a VNC client on the local (end user) machine, and then somehow tunnel (vpn?) through LogMeIn Hamachi?

This is also correct, you tunnel the remote control session over the Hamachi VPN.

> Thanks for any insight.  (As to the comment in another response directly to run VNC, etc., the journal hosting university network staff will not permit this.)

Regards,

Adam Bishop
JANET(UK)
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG