SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:04:00 -0700
I have attempted to get a misbehaving X windows system to restart
without rebooting the machine.  In the past, as I recall,
ctrl-alt-backspace would do this.  This evidently has been disabled with
the current X windows releases on Linux, including SL 6 .  What is the
current equivalent (perhaps a shell command), or how does one reactivate
a control sequence to force the X server to exit and
restart/reinitialize, with a fresh login screen?

I have found some references using a web search to this issue for a
number of current Linux distributions, but none of the offered "cures"
seem to work with SL 6 (or presumably any RHEL 6 variant).

Yasha Karant