SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2011 01:08:31 -0400
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, William Lutter wrote:
>
>> basic question...
>>
>> It's not clear to me from the FAQ
>> http://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/upgrade.5x
>>
>> Can I skip from SL5.0 to 5.6 or do I need to go through the intermediate
>> minor updates 5.0->5.1->5.2...?
>>
>> For instance if I jump from 5.0 to 5.6, could I just do "For the more
>> cautious" step 6:
>> rpm -Uvh
>> ftp://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/56/i386/misc/RPMS/yum-conf-latest.SL.noarch.rpm
>>
>> Bill Lutter
>
> That should work.. the worst that can happen is that you find
> a few rpms that don't yum upgrade clean due to an epoch set
> wrong here or there, or a few custom non-SL packages that
> have crept into your distro.  If so, rpm -e --nodeps
> and try again until it works.
>
> Steve

You'll want to run, and resolve" yum list extras" when you're done.
Some components, such as gcc4x, and major version changes between
releases. Others were discarded. I'd start with the "*-release*
components and work my way, manually, up the chain, or pop in the
latest 5.6 media and use those for an upgrade procedure to resolve the
major component version update issues sucha as gcc4x.