SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 07:10:29 +1000
Hi Alex,

> Hi,
>
>   Thanks for that. I  had all that set already, it isn't the cause
> of the problem. I think the point is that the route back for the
> forwarded X11 is via a port called localhost:6011, but if the
> machine can not work out what localhost is then it fails. You need
> either one of
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
> or
> ::1 localhost
>
> in /etc/hosts

I personally don't see why anyone would ever remove 127.0.0.1 from their
hosts file. This is a required entry in any UNIX environment (tru64, hp-ux,
solaris, aix, linux) and has been that way for 30 years.

I guess this is why others haven't experienced the "bug" you've reported, as
most people don't touch that entry - unless of cours they're asking for
trouble :)

Michael.