SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2014

From:
Andrew Szymkowiak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Szymkowiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:22:25 -0500
I'm running an SL6.5 system, with the proprietary Nvidia drivers.  I
want to continue to use compiz, as I desire its edge-flipping abilties.
Some versions ago, the Nvidia drivers started exposing a bug in the
synchronization with X11 redraws, often leaving windows partially
drawn.  For a while, I've just stayed at an older Nvidia version, but
the recent Xorg update seems to have ruled out that possibility.  I
found a compiz patch, and started trying to build my own version.  It
fails to load, with messages like:

  compiz (core) - Error: Couldn't load plugin 'decoration'

(and also "plane").

So then I tried to yum reinstalls of the SL compiz packages, and those
errors continue.

So I am looking for assistance in any of several ways:

(1) pointers to a repo that has a patched compiz package that will run
on an SL6 system

(2) hints as to how to do the configure for compiz so that everything I
want will be built - right now, the configure (for compiz 0.8.2) ends with:

the following optional plugins will be compiled:
   glib:     yes
   gconf:    yes
   kconfig:  no
   dbus:     yes
   annotate: yes
   svg:      yes
   inotify:  yes
   fuse:     no

and the following optional features will be compiled:
   gtk:      no
   metacity: no
   gnome:    no
   kde:      no
   kde4:     no

(3) hints as to how to fix my damaged compiz installation to at least
get back to the previous situation.

Thanks,
     Andy S.