SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Oleg Sadov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Oleg Sadov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2013 23:54:24 +0400
В Срд, 30/01/2013 в 09:16 -0800, Konstantin Olchanski пишет:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:48:55AM -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > On 01/29/2013 10:48 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> > >We have a limited, small, number of IEEE 802.3 connected hardware
> > >platform identical workstations to clone -- no 802.11 nor any
> > >shared (remote, distributed) disk storage (at this time).  My plan
> > >was to get one fully operational and configured, and then clone
> > >the hard drive image onto the remaining machines one hard drive at
> > >a time.

> > There are two issues with the procedure you posted:
> > 1.) Cloning a r/w/ mounted filesystem with dd isn't a good idea, ...
>
> One more minor detail I forgot. Full install of SL is just a few GB,
> if you clone by rsync, takes a few minutes to copy. With "dd",
> it will take hours to clone a 3TB/4TB disk.

Some time ago we had the same problem with installation cloning during
the deployment of Linux systems in Russian schools.

We made special SL-based LiveCD with a possibility of fast cloning by 3
steps -- source installation dumping by dump utility, multicast sending
this dump to local network and restoring to local drives of client
computers by restore utility. Cloning by such method is pretty fast and
independent of the number of client computers.