SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Rob Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rob Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:24:53 +0000
HI

  I have an Acer TM 8104 Laptop. I managed to load SL 4.2 onto it with the
acpi=off kernel option. However I encountered the following problems

1) USB ports would not work until I loaded a much later kernel from
kernel.org.

2)  WLAN. The correct driver ipw2200 was automatically recognised and
loaded but it proved impossible to make a connection. Searching the web
there seemd to be people in similar circumstances. One theory was that the
Acer external hot keys were not responding properly. The bluetooth button
is always turned on but the WLAN next to it isn't. There is an acer hot
key utility but it didn't seem to run on this model.

3) ACPI. despite trying all the recipes on the web to fix the acpi
(especially one detailed one based on debian for exactly my model) I had
no luck at all. SL does not seem to work even when a corrected and
recompiled acpi db is provided. It always simply hangs when booting
without the acpi=off flag.

My laptop has been back with Acer for two weeks so far being repaired
after only four months, but when/if I get it back I intend to give up on
the onboard wifi. CAN ANYONE RUNNING SL RECOMMEND A PCMCIA OR USB WIFI
CARD THAT THEY KNOW WORKS WITH SL SO I CAN GIVE UP ON MY LONG QUEST TO GET
THE ONBOARD CARD TO FUNCTION. I would be most grateful.

Thanks
Rob Henderson

--
Dr Rob C W Henderson
Department of Physics    Lancaster University