SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:16:41 -0500
Hi Paul,

Paul Jochum wrote:
> Hi Connie and Troy:
>
> Just wanted to pass on some suggestions for corrections to the following
> website:
>
> https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/upgrade
>
> 1) The location of the rpm for yum-conf is different.  The web site
> lists it as:
>    linux/scientific/30x/i386/misc/RPMS/
>    and I found it under:
>    linux/scientific/30x/i386/SL/RPMS/
>    (this was true for the YUM section, I assume the APT section is the
> same)

Actually, I had forgotten to make the link back to the yum-conf and
apt-sourcelist.  I have made the link, so now the docuementation is
correct again.

> 2) Step 8 of YUM (and step 12 of APT) lists /bin/reboot, it should be
> /sbin/reboot

Fixed

>    Also, in my installation, I found that in grub (/boot/grub/menu.lst),
> the menu was not updated to reflect 3.0.5 (still read 3.0.4).  I don't
> think this was a script problem, but you might want to include a note in
> step 10 of YUM (and step 7 of APT) telling people to update grub for this.

I put a little blurb in for that.  The problem stems from the kernel
being updated before sl-release is.  In some cases the kernel doesn't
get updated, so grub.conf has no reason to be changed according to yum
and apt.

>    Thanks for the hard work in putting this release out.  Let me know if
> you have any questions or corrections.
>
> Paul Jochum

You're very welcome.  And thank you for letting us know about the fixes
needed.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468