SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:34:15 -0600
Troy J Dawson wrote:
> Gasser Marc wrote:
>> Hi SL users,
>>
>> 1.
>> Anybody knows why "yum update" and "yum check-update" do not necessarily
>> show
>> the same lists of RPMS to be updated when running on the same host
>> addressing the same
>> repos? Is "yum check-update" resolving dependencies as well?
>>
>> 2.
>> There is the option "-y", assume yes, in yum. Is there also the
>> counterpart, assume no?
>> I mean "echo | yum update" does the same, but just for curiosity.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Marc
>
> Is this on SL3, SL4, or SL5?
> Since each has a different version of yum, there are various options that are
> different.
>
> Troy

This is SL5
Sorry for now replying, things got a little hecktic around here.
1 - I believe you are right.  It looks like "yum check-update" does not do the
dependancies.  It only tells you what packages need to be updated, so if they
have some new dependancies, you will get those extra ones if you do a "yum update"
I checked this with a machine that needed to update it's firefox from 1.5 to
3.0, and it pulled ina ll those extra firefox stuff.

2 - I don't know of a negative in yum.  But there are several things you could
try.  There is the yum shell (see man yum-shell)
I would also try using the download plugin, which does the dependancies and
downloads everything instead of installing it.
Or you could right a plugin that does a negative

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group