SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2005

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:46:52 +0000
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Connie Sieh wrote:

> > First we misguidedly tried "yum install openafs"
> >
> > Then we found we couldn't remove it:
> >
> > rpm -e openafs
> >   error: %preun(openafs- ...  ) scriptlet failed, exit
> >
> > Then we remembered that, to do what we wanted, we *should* be using
> >
> > yum groupinstall "OpenAFS Client"
> >
> > But that failed:
> >
> >  ....Unable to satisfy dependencies
> >  Package kernel-module-openafs-2.4.21-20.EL needs
> >  /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.EL, this is not available.
>
> What version of the kernel are you running?

Yesterday it was kernel-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL
Today it's kernel-2.4.21-27.0.2.EL

But the point seems to be that for the /initial/ install of openafs
client, it's looking for the SL303 /original/ kernel, not for the
current one.

> What version of yum are you using?

yum-conf-303-2.SL
yum-2.0.7-7.SL

>     The version of yum that came with 302 did not understand the new
>     kernel-module naming convention.  You need to get the yum that is in
>     303.

This was a fresh 303 installation, not an upgrade from 302.

Just in case this isn't clear: this SL3.03 was originally installed
without openafs; then the kernel updates were applied and the old
kernels deleted; then, a user requested installation of the openafs
client, and that's when we - as I say - rediscovered the problems that
had already been discussed on this list for 302 last autumn^W Fall.

I'll reply to Troy in a moment.

Thanks!