SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:30:53 -0600
Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the past couple of days logrotate has started to compress my logs once
> they've been rotated.
>
> I haven't changed my logrotate config in any way recently, and I've checked
> the /etc/logrotate.conf file and the "compress" word is commented out.
>
> I checked my syslog dropfile:
>
> # cat /etc/logrotate.d/syslog
> /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/spooler /var/log/
> boot.log /var/log/cron {
>     sharedscripts
>     postrotate
>         /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null
> || true
>     endscript
> }
>
> and there's also no place it says to compress.
>
> I'm using SL4.4 and it's happened on a few SL4.4 machines at the same time.
> I'm at a loss to work this one out.
>
> Any ideas from anyone what I'm missing?
>
> Michael.

Hi,
Are you sure it's logrotate doing the compression.
I say that because I was getting paged for someone's computer who's
area's kept getting paged, and threatened to write a script to compress
their logs for them.  If there are several admins on the machine, it's
possible someone did this.
I would check and see if the time stamp of the compressed log, is close
to when logrotate run's.  (on my machine that's 4:02, but that may vary
by machine)
That's just a guess, I could be completely wrong on that.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468