SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2013 19:12:37 +0100
On 14/07/13 16:48, Yasha Karant wrote:
<snip>

> John,
>
> Although vlc 2.0.7 is the current stable production release from vlc, it
> is not the same from the rpmfusion respository, for which 2.0.6 is
> stable.  I avoid (if at all possible) any "testing", pre-production, or
> beta releases on any production machine.  My experience has been that
> introducing a "testing" release from many of these repositories also
> gets "testing" versions of core libraries and other functionalities,
> some of which truly are not ready for "prime time" -- vlc 2.0.7 may be
> production, but some other library release version that is being used
> with the repository release, but which otherwise is not required for the
> application in question, also is so mandated but only by the repository.
>
> Sometimes, functionality requires the installation of testing software
> on a production machine -- particularly if the "stable" release does not
> support some otherwise Microsoft-only hardware (the USA has found
> Microsoft to be a monopoly, but has forced no meaningful remedies,
> unlike the EU for which at least some parts of the monopoly have been
> broken through either enforced compatibility or reverse engineered "open
> systems" workarounds for which Microsoft effectively cannot sue the
> provider within the EU).
>
> Thus, I stayed with 2.0.6 that (presumably) is a large improvement over
> the 1.x vlc I had been using.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Yasha Karant

OK.  I'm not conscious of all the constraints you may have, and
obviously stability is desirable.  My use of kde-unstable was largely
unplanned. I temporarily lost my LVM configuration and IIRC it got
installed during or shortly after my attempts to recover.  I have found
it much easier to use and less glitch prone than what I had before.  And
I use the elrepo kernel to get support for my DVB-T2 tv-tuner: my
attempts to build the driver with the standard kernel and the linuxtv
script all failed.

I hope your new vlc installation does what you want.

John