SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:03:52 -0800
RH Enterprise Linux 5 is in late beta, and will be released Real Soon
Now.  It is based on Fedora Core 6.  I assume that Scientific Linux 5
will follow RHEL5 within a few weeks.

I want to use SL5 soon after it comes out (and stick with it a long
time), and am wondering whether the upgrade path will be easier from
SL4.2, or from FC6.

Right now, I have some downtime to do a few days of upgrades, but
I will not have much time when SL5 rolls out.  I want to upgrade a
laptop that is currently running RH 9 (!), with many accumulated
proprietary CAD tools and odd bits of hand-crafted numerical code,
and it will be a lot of compilation work and dependency hell to get
it all moved.  So, I would like to get /close/ to SL5, starting with
an available distro, so the last upgrade is as simple as possible.

So, the question:  If you had to pick a current distro that is closest
to what SL5 will eventually be, would you start with SL4.2 or with
Fedora Core 6?

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993