SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:59:38 -0800
On 12/25/2011 06:53 PM, MT Julianto wrote:
> [...]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/25/2011 06:04 PM, MT Julianto wrote:
>
>         I guess you have lm_sensors intalled.
>         Have read this: /usr/share/doc/lm_sensors-3.1.__1/doc/fancontrol.txt
>
>         -Tito.
>

>         On 26 December 2011 00:03, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]
>         <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>         <mailto:[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>> wrote:
>
>             Is anyone familiar with a HP 8530 laptop?
>
>             In general, or for this model or HP family in particular,
>         how does
>             one control the fan speed?
>
>             To date:
>
>             [root@localhost ~]# cat /proc/acpi/fan/FANG/state
>             status:                  off
>             [root@localhost ~]# fancontrol status
>             Error: Can't read configuration file
>

>             I definitely can feel the fan running.  I have removed and
>         replaced
>             the keyboard to get access to the fan so that I could use
>         compressed
>             dusting gas to remove any dust accumulations (a relatively
>         simple
>             procedure for this particular model), and have observed some
>             reduction in running temperature as reported by gkrellm.
>           Currently,
>             CPUZ is 63 C with a CPU composite load average of
>         approximately 40
>             percent.
>
>             Is there an OS environment (currently, SL 6x) or, for those
>         familiar
>             with these HP machines, a BIOS, mechanism for forcing the fan to
>             maximum?  How does one "fix" /etc/fancontrol, or is this not
>             feasible/useful?
>
>             Yasha Karant
>

>     [root@localhost ~]# pwmconfig
>     # pwmconfig revision 5630 (2009-01-29)
>     This program will search your sensors for pulse width modulation (pwm)
>     controls, and test each one to see if it controls a fan on
>     your motherboard. Note that many motherboards do not have pwm
>     circuitry installed, even if your sensor chip supports pwm.
>
>     We will attempt to briefly stop each fan using the pwm controls.
>     The program will attempt to restore each fan to full speed
>     after testing. However, it is ** very important ** that you
>     physically verify that the fans have been to full speed
>     after the program has completed.
>
>     /usr/sbin/pwmconfig: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed
>
>     end output.
>
>     Thus, your suggestion fails (actually, pwmconfig was one of the
>     first things I tried).  There may be a different
>     version/switch/program that handles non-pwm sensor modules or there
>     may be such hardware/firmware modules on this particular computer
>     but these have not been interfaced to / activated by the OS
>     environment.  How does one discover if pwm hardware/firmware is present?
>
>     NB:  When I first joined this list, I was railed against for
>     replying/posting to the front of an email/list thread/message (a
>     practice common with other email correspondence); thus, I am

Below is the output of sensor-detect

[root@localhost ykarant]# sensors-detect
# sensors-detect revision 1.1
# System: Hewlett-Packard HP EliteBook 8530p (laptop)
# Board: Hewlett-Packard 30E7

This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
unless you know what you're doing.

Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.
Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no): YES
Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595...                       No
VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors...                          No
VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors...                            No
AMD K8 thermal sensors...                                   No
AMD Family 11h thermal sensors...                           No
Intel Core family thermal sensor...                         Success!
     (driver `coretemp')
Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor...                         No
VIA C7 thermal and voltage sensors...                       No

Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): YES
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0x4501
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
Trying family `National Semiconductor'...                   No
Trying family `SMSC'...                                     Yes
Found unknown non-standard chip with ID 0x7a

Some hardware monitoring chips are accessible through the ISA I/O ports.
We have to write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually
safe though. Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any
ISA slots! Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (YES/no): YES
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78' at 0x290...       No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79' at 0x290...       No
Probing for `Winbond W83781D' at 0x290...                   No
Probing for `Winbond W83782D' at 0x290...                   No

Lastly, we can probe the I2C/SMBus adapters for connected hardware
monitoring devices. This is the most risky part, and while it works
reasonably well on most systems, it has been reported to cause trouble
on some systems.
Do you want to probe the I2C/SMBus adapters now? (YES/no): TES
Sorry, no supported PCI bus adapters found.
Module i2c-dev loaded successfully.

Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x90 (i2c-0)
Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): YES

Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x91 (i2c-1)
Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): YES

Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x92 (i2c-2)
Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): YES

Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x93 (i2c-3)
Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): YES

Next adapter: Radeon i2c bit bus 0x14 (i2c-4)
Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): YES
Client found at address 0x49
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM75'...                No
Probing for `Dallas Semiconductor DS75'...                  No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM77'...                No
Probing for `Dallas Semiconductor DS1621/DS1631'...         No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM73'...                No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM92'...                No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM76'...                No
Probing for `Maxim MAX6633/MAX6634/MAX6635'...              No
Client found at address 0x4f
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM75'...                No
Probing for `Dallas Semiconductor DS75'...                  No
Probing for `Dallas Semiconductor DS1621/DS1631'...         No
Probing for `Texas Instruments TMP421'...                   No
Probing for `Texas Instruments TMP422'...                   No
Probing for `Maxim MAX6633/MAX6634/MAX6635'...              No
Client found at address 0x50
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'...                     No
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'...                     No
Probing for `SPD EEPROM'...                                 No
Probing for `EDID EEPROM'...                                Yes
     (confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `coretemp':
   * Chip `Intel Core family thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): YES
Starting lm_sensors: loading module coretemp               [  OK  ]
Unloading i2c-dev... OK

End output.

No indication of what to do for fan speed control, no indication of the
sensors that seem to be required.  Does anyone have experience with the
ACPI OS control files?  As I recall, there is a value that one places
into one of these files for fan speed control/override.

Yasha Karant