SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:25:06 -0600
John Rowe wrote:
>>I'm not sure if this is related, but how are you doing the install?
>>Just doing a rpm -Uvh, or yum, apt, or which program?
>

> rpm -Uvh [a very long list]
>

>>No, I don't think changing the kernel make a difference.
>>What really does make a difference is if you change your grub.conf by
>>hand.  Do you do that at any time?  Or do any of the rpm's that you
>>install do that?
>

> Well, the kernel-smp rpm would do that. As I recall, the yum upgrade
> does change grub.conf as the kernel gets updated and I certainly tried
> running grub-install after the yum upgrade and all was well.
>
> John

Yes, kernel-smp would change grub, but we know what it does, and so far
it's done things right.
So, you are still having this problem even *after* running the
grub-install with no errors.  That's strange.  I thought the complaint
was that you were having to do that after doing this update.
If that is the case, the only time's I've seen this error's is when
people change drives somehow.  But that usually only happens on scsi
drives.
Are these drives all just on normal ide?  Have you double checked to
make sure the bios isn't trying to boot of the wrong disk, whether the
partition is marked bootable or not?

If you've double checked all those questions above, can you send us the
grub.conf as well as the output of
   cat /proc/partitions

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468