SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:09:50 -0700
On 2011-08-29, at 9:43 AM, Andreas Petzold wrote:

> On Monday, August 29, 2011 18:11:33 Pablo Cavero wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> By Default this directory have an "700" like permissions.
>>
>> [root@Selene home]# ll
>> total 8
>> drwx------. 4 pablo pablo 4096 Aug 18 14:31 pablo
>>
>> but, inside of this directory, have an Root file?!?!?
>>
>> [root@Selene pablo]# ls -la
>> total 28
>> drwx------. 4 pablo pablo 4096 Aug 18 14:31 .
>> drwxr-xr-x. 4 root  root  4096 Aug 26 16:57 ..
>
> the ".." entry in the directory listing refers to the parent directory of the
> directory that is listed. And in the case of your home dir ".." refers to the
> /home or whereever the home directories are stored on your installation which
> is owned by root.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 		Andreas

Hello Pablo,

It probably has to do with the configuration of the FTP server. You may need to specify that /home/pablo is a directory which is allowed to be viewed/written via FTP.

If I may be so bold, why are you not using SFTP or SCP for file transfer? I would be more secure, and the speed difference is negligible for small file transfers - it looks like you are able to log in via SSH - which means you should already be able to do sftp or scp...?

-Chris