SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Stephen Isard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Isard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2012 17:01:24 -0400
I wanted to run sl6 on a non-pae laptop using the ELRepo nonpae ml
kernel, and thought that it might work to run the livecd-creator script
with Urs Beyerle's sl6rolling-livedvd.ks kickstart file, just
editing sl6rolling-live-base.ks to include the elrepo-kernel repository
and changing the name of the "kernel" package to "kernel-ml-NONPAE".
I'm pleased to report that this does in fact work; at least the
resulting iso boots and starts up normally - I haven't tested it
extensively.

However, even without a mention of the ordinary sl6 kernel, the script
installs the most recent one from sl-security and constructs a rather
confusing boot menu with four separate kernel entries all labelled
nonpae, some of which try to boot the standard pae kernel.  This isn't
fatal, but it's a bit messy.

Can anyone suggest a way of getting the script to not install the
standard kernel, or at least to label the boot menu entries in a more
informative way?

Stephen Isard