SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:27:23 +0200
On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 09:04 +0100, Maccy wrote:
> Morning everyone,
>
> A colleague mentioned he had heard on the grapevine that CERN were moving
> to SL on servers only due to there being certain issues with GTK.

Eh. CERN has switched most Linux machines to SL(c)3 (our customized
version for Krb4/AFS etc..), desktops and servers alike.

There were certain issues with he GNOME default desktop being slow, but
they applied mostly to Windows+Exceed+funky font server config->Linux
server. And vte (the GNOME terminal library) still has some issue with
slow redraws, again most noticeable for remote sessions.
http://cern.ch/linux/scientific3/docs/gnome-slow.shtml

If you have any details, please let me know.

We haven't certified SL4 for use at CERN yet, but several people seem to
be happy using it anyway. Me included.

Regards
jan