SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2015

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2015 08:10:39 -0500
On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 6:55 AM, Vladimir Mosgalin
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi hansel!
>
>  On 2015.01.30 at 14:55:52 -0500, hansel wrote next:
>
>> Appreciate the feedback. However, my searching (14 registered repositories,
>> RHEL and SL documents, RHEL/SL 6 releases of java 1.8 and security updates)
>> finds no SL 7 supported rpm for java 1.8.
>>
>> So, does RHEL/SL 6 java 1.8 release work on SL 7 or has it been packaged for
>> RHEL/SL 7? If for 7, it seems not to be in an SL or RHEL repository?
>
> You can't use RHEL's java 1.8 because they don't provide src.rpms for
> rebuilding IIRC (they can't by license; they could provide nosrc.rpm but
> I guess they don't see a point).
>
> But you can just rebuild jpackage-provided src.rpm (tweaked for SL6) on
> SL7 system, I don't think there would be any problems. JPackage does
> proper java packages, at least.
>
> You can get srpm here, for example:
> http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/cern/slc6X/x86_64/updates/SRPMS/java-1.8.0-oracle-1.8.0.25-3.0.slc6.src.rpm

Near as I can tell, JPackage has been dead for about five years:  This
is not from a JPackage repository, it's just based on an old JPackage
wrapper for older Java binary tarballs. It also doesn't contain Java
source code, it just bundles up the binaries with *yet another*
wrapper.

Sorry if I seem dismissive, those used to have their uses, and I
submitted patches to JPackage for some of the dependency issues with
the Sun and Oracle published RPM's with RHEL integration at
https://github.com/nkadel/java-1.6.0-sun-compat-srpm. But ever since
Sun and later Oracle started publishing RPM's, it became easiser.

Oh, also? If you need to install 32-bit and 64-bit JAva RPM's,
especially the Oracle packages, just install the 64-bit version first
and then install the 32-bit one with "rpm -U --noscripts
java-[whater].i386.rpm" That prevents the '%post' operations for RPM
from overriding various symlinks.