SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2009

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:27:32 -0800

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 09:36:54AM -0600, Troy Dawson wrote:
> I don't know about other people, but I for one would love to read how you
> did it.  I've been wanting to make a couple of ultra low power machines and
> it would be great to see some instructions for something other than debian.

Here is the start of my writeup:

http://wiki.keithl.com/index.cgi?SL5Alix

It covers installing to the flash, configuring for flash friendliness
and setting up the serial port console.  With this you should be able
to get a root prompt on the ALIX serial console, and do a lot of the
network configuration.  I hope to add more stuff for setting the ALIX
up as a router/firewall, including:

- BIND
- SSL certs
- dyndns/ddclient
- OpenVPN
- nocat
- DenyHosts
- patching the linux kernel for the Geode AES engine
- power options (car battery, solar)

It looks like I have the start of a magazine article here, so I got
greedy and put a copyright notice on it.  Go ahead and link to it,
though.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993