SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2015

From:
Dirk Hoffmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dirk Hoffmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 07:52:24 +0200
> Reporting "someone else had a probem, but I don't know how it
> happened" is one of the great problems of debugging. It's not clear,
> for example, if your colleague was trying to install on top of
> pre-installed operating system on the new disk, or if they're familiar
> with what is, admittedly, the horrible installation GUI form upstream
> with its new and confusing "spoke and wheel" model.

I am sorry, but that general place complaint is not appropriate here. I can
provide all information that is needed or requested. I just do not claim
having done all the tedious and repetitive work my own. If that hero does not
want to subscribe to the list and make himself known, please respect it. We
do not seek help here, but want to indicate a problem to help others.

There was a system running (SL6.x, depending on which of the three test
machines it happened). However, on the new disk there was no partition table
(as explained). We did not want to overwrite anything of the precious old
configuration. And the only change between "Hangs somewhere in installation
with dark screen and (moving) mouse pointer" and "works" was to "fdisk" just
one dummy partition on that new disk.

I cannot remember the spoke and wheel GUI upstream. Do you mean the new
interface for partitioning, which is already in service on Fedora 22 for
example? I know that, but I do not see your point or the relationship to our
problems.

> I'd strongly urge you and your colleage to walk through a VM
> installation and make sure you both know or learn how to manage
> partitioning with advanced options, for just this sort of case.

Why? What exactly do you think we need to understand? There was no possibility
(at least not visible enough) to partition the new disk during the
installation procedure. We guessed the reason and managed to partition it on
another system manually (gparted).

As a conclusion, I understand there is no requirement to have a
pre-partitioned disk for installation (as expected and reasonable). Thanks.
Can anybody reproduce the problem? We did it three times on different systems.
And yes, if time allows I will try to reproduce it on a VM installation, but I
am afraid VM disks (on VirtualBox) are or "look to the installer like"
pre-partitioned disks anyway.

Cheers
 									Dirk