SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 08:18:17 -0500
On 08/18/2012 03:57 PM, David Sommerseth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running Scientific Linux since the 6.0 days, and single-user
> mode have basically behaved how I have expected it those few times I
> needed it.  As I usually set up my boxes root accounts with passwords
> disabled, single-user mode needs to be without root password.
>
> Today, after having upgraded from 6.3, I needed to enter single-user
> mode at boot.  And I was asked for a password at boot time.  Is this
> change intentional?
>
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> Scientific Linux release 6.3 (Carbon)
> # rpm -qa | grep -i sl_password_for_singleuser | wc -l
> 0
> # grep SINGLE /etc/sysconfig/init
> SINGLE=/sbin/sushell
>
> If this change was intentional, how can I go back to the old
> behaviour?  I double checked the behaviour with an old VM with SL6.1,
> and that behaves as expected.
>

> kind regards,
>
> David Sommerseth

Hi David,

The behavior shouldn't have changed.  You've provided just about all the
relevant details in your email, so there isn't really anything I want to
ask for more information.

Can I have you try setting /etc/sysconfig/init => SINGLE to
/sbin/sulogin rebooting and setting it back to /sbin/sushell?  Perhaps
something got 'stuck' wrong....

/sbin/sushell is a shell script, so can I have you verify its contents?
Mine looks like:

#!/bin/bash

[ -z "$SUSHELL" ] && SUSHELL=/bin/bash

exec $SUSHELL