SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2006

From:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luke Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:57:28 -0500
Harish Narayanan wrote:

> I understand where they're coming from. It's just, I am only a
> part-time sysadmin, but a full time science geek. And priorities on
> either side of the fence don't always match up perfectly.

That's a tough gig!

I've observed that since IT takes as much time as you give it, there's a
deep conflict between doing anything IT-related and being a graduate
student.  I've cleaned up after several people who chose to get their
degree and neglected the machines to the point where they got p0wn3d...
I don't fault them in the least -- even though cleaning up the mess and
trying to regulate upon their adviser is no fun.

It sounds like you've got the balance right, though!

-Luke